- Seals are a significant source of income for thousands of families in remote coastal communities in Eastern Canada, at a time of year when employment opportunities are extremely limited.
- Sealers have stated that their income from Sealing Industry can represent from 25-35% of their total income.
- The Sealing Industry has been worth over $55 million to our provincial economy.
- Since 1970, the harp seal population has tripled and currently stands at 5.6 million animals.
- Harvesting whitecoats and bluebacks is illegal and has been since 1987.
- Research on the modern Sealing Industry by veterinary experts has concluded that seals are harvested in a humane manner.
- The number of seals that may be harvested is based on science and sound conservation principles.
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software can be used for viewing PDF documents. Download Acrobat® Reader for free